for enlarge - Port side private diningroom, capacity 60 guests
Since the launching of the Moshulu (pronounced Mo-shoe'-loo) in
1904, she has had a long and exciting career on the seas working
the ports of Europe, South America, Australia, America and Africa.
She was confiscated by the Americans in one war and by the Germans
in the next. She has traveled around Cape Horn 54 times. She has
hauled coal and coke, copper ore and nitrate, lumber and grain.
In lesser days, she has served as a floating warehouse. In grander
days, she won the last great grain race in 1939. Today, the Moshulu
is the largest four-masted sailing ship in the world still afloat.
The Moshulu was purchased in 1968 in Naantale, Finland for restoration
and conversion into a restaurant. In the fall of 1974, she was towed
to Philadelphia and opened as a restaurant on Philadelphia's Penn's
Land1ng in 1975 until she was damaged by fire in 1989. In 1994 the
Moshulu was purchased by HMS Ventures, Inc. and restored in the
style of a turn-of-the-century luxury liner. The Moshulu was re-christened
by Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell on July 24, 1996. In 2002, Martin
Grims, owner of Passarelle and many other restaurants, took over
the operation of the Moshulu and plans to open the restaurant on
May 1, 2003.
Launched under the name Kurt.
Built for the GJH Siemers & Co of Hamburg, Germany by the Wm.
Hamilton Shipyard, Port Glasgow, Scotland. During the period of
1904-1914, the ship was used to bring supplies to a copper mine
in Santa Rosalia, Mexico. She carried coal and coke to Mexico and
was supposed to return with copper ore. Instead she picked up nitrate
in Chile and transported it to Europe.
The Kurt voyaged to Astoria,
Oregon to pick up grain cargo. World War I broke out and the owners
kept the ship in port.
The United States entered World
War I and confiscated the ship. The ship was placed in service by
the US to make voyages across the Pacific to Australia and the Philippines.
At this time the US Government decided to rename the ship after
famous clipper ships and the Kurt was renamed the Dreadnaught. However,
it never sailed under the name Dreadnaught. President Wilson's wife
renamed the ship Moshulu, which means the same as dreadnaught -fearless.
She selected this name to honor the Seneca tribe of Native Americans.
The government operated the ship until 1921.
The Moshulu was purchased by
private owners, Charles Nelson Co. of San Francisco, who were engaged
in lumber hauling along the West Coast with voyages to Australia
and South Africa.
the Moshulu made her last voyage
for the Nelson Company- Around this time steamers were taking over
the lumber trade and the Moshulu was laid up in the Seattle vicinity.
Gustave Ericson of Marieham,
Finland expressed interest in the Moshulu. Ericson at that time
had the largest fleet of square riggers in continuous operation.
The ship was put back into service in the grain trade between Australia
and Europe. As one of the last large square riggers still earning
her way, the Moshulu carried passengers who later were to write
books about ships, voyages, etc. Her route to Australia took her
around Cape Horn. She continued the grain trade until 1939.
The owners of the square riggers
decided to hold an informal race among the grain carriers to determine
which could make the quickest time from Australia to Europe. The
Moshulu won the race. As it turned out, it was the last such race,
World War II broke out.
The Moshulu was sent to Argentina
for a commercial run. When the Moshulu returned to her permanent
home in Norway, she was confiscated by the Germans. Her masts and
spars were removed and the ship was used as a floating warehouse
throughout the war and in the 1950's in different parts of Scandinavia
The ship again fell into the
private hands of a German owner. He had two square riggers operating
and tried to revive the sailing cargo vessels. The ship was never
re-rigged. The owner's program failed after two years. Ownership
changed again and she reverted to a floating warehouse.
For the next seven years, Moshulu
was used in Naantale, Finland for storage.
Raymond E. Wallace was commissioned
by Specialty Restaurants to find a ship to convert to a restaurant.
The Moshulu was brought to the
United States by Raymond E. Wallace.
The Moshulu opens as a restaurant
on Penn's Landing in Philadelphia.
The Moshulu closes after damage
by fire and is docked at the Broadway Terminal in Camden, New Jersey
The Moshulu is purchased by HMS
Ventures, Inc in Philadelphia. She undergoes restoration as a dining,
entertainment and tourist attraction.
July 24 -The Moshulu is re-christened
by Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell and HMS President Eli Karetny opens
in the style of a grand turn-of-the-century luxury liner on Pier
34 on Philadelphia's waterfront.
The Moshulu is moved up the Delaware
River to the Penn's Landing Marina, next to the VSS Olympia.
The new Moshulu Restaurant opened
under the direction of operator Marty Grims. Great food and service
are the trademarks of Grims who is presenting a South Seas flair
in this dining and entertainment adventure.